According to studies, 683,000 people are raped every year, majority of whom, if not all, are women. Most rape victims suffer from a series of symptoms. There are both psychological and physical effects in the aftermath of rape or sexual assault. Symptoms experienced by rape victims are:
- Psychological Effect of Rape : Rape trauma syndrome, PTSD, OCD, SI, Eating disorders, Nightmares, Flashbacks.
- Physical Effect of Rape: Body memories (possible in a brain-related sense, but not supported by current theory), Headaches, and Stomachaches, Chronic pelvic pain, Pre-menstrual syndrome, Gastrointestinal disorders, Gynecological and pregnancy complications, Migraines and other frequent headaches, Back pain, Facial pain, Disability preventing work. Possible pregnancy.
So how does one deal with or help someone who has been raped or sexually assaulted. Here are ways to deal with these symptoms and they include:
- Always remember and keep in mind that you are not alone: Many people, males and females alike, are walking on the planet today and have been raped or sexually abused. You are not alone.
- Do some research on Rape Trauma Syndrome: Learning about the health and psychological conditions affecting survivors of assault has been cited by researchers as a positive coping skill associated with faster healing.
- If you are a victim, you should also seek help from a professional: Sometimes, it helps to understand your healing process.
- Ask a specialist in rape trauma syndrome for information about the condition and its effects: You can find a therapist by making inquiries at your local hospital or by searching on-line.
- Ask a Medical Physician about your symptoms: You can find a Physician by making inquiries at your local hospital or by searching on-line as well.
- You can also do research at your local library: Pathfinders are websites created by librarians that list the best resources on a particular subject. This resource would tell you which reference resources, books, databases (journals) and online resources are best for your topic. You can find pathfinders on-line.